Friday, October 26, 2007

Hello again. Now for a little bit more explination. The stories are not in the exact same order as the last post, so you might have to jump around a little bit.
1-"Some police talking to a street performer (on La Rambla).", "A flower stand on La Rambla.", "A pet stand on La Ramblas"
- La Rambla is a big street in Barcelona that has a walk way through the middle of it (the cars drive on either side), so there are lots of stands, street performers etc. There are flower stands, touristy stands, pet stands (where you can buy birds, small reptiles, and I think I saw rabbits too, along with their supplies), and artists. There were tons of street performers, some better than others. This particular street performer was in a black cardboard box, and when he heard money go into his bowl or if he heard a large group of unsuspecting people walk buy, his would open his box and laugh and evil laugh to scare the people. It was interesting. This picture is from the way back (I saw him in teh morning, and then on the way back to the university, i saw him again). I have no idea why he was talking to the police (since I don´t understand spanish, etc), but I personal theory is that someone complained that there was a scary guy jumping out of a box scaring people on the street. Ha.

2-"Just a part of one stand in the market off of La Rambla." - Off of La Rambla, there was this huge crouded market. There were fuit stand, meat stands, candy stands, everything imaginable. It was bustling with life (and tourists) and really colorful. Beautiful.

3-"Part of Will's University" - Pretty simple. The front of the main building of Wills´s University.

4-"One of the many many cats roaming the grounds of the University of Barcelona." - Will´s University (University of Barcelona, I believe) is absolutely covered in cats. This is just one of the 15 or so I saw during my visit (and that´s keeping in mind that I wasn´t at the University very often). They were adorable, but I can imagine that they can be a nusance when you are eating lunch outside.

5-"Will at Tapas place on the first night."- On the forst day in Barcelona, Will and I went to a Tapas resturant. Tapas is pretty much like a buffet, but instead of filling your plate with spoonfuls or slices of food, most of the entrees are on little wooden skewers (like co-bobs) and the price you pay depends on the length of the skewer. It was delecious.

6-"Part of Parc de la Ciutadella" - In Barcelona, there is a Arc de Triumpf, and near the arc, there is this park. It was tropical feeling with all of the palm trees (there are no palm trees in Potsdam). There was even a little lake (in the picture) and a giant fountain. The fountain was under construction or getting repair or something of the sort, so it wasn´t on. It was quite a nice park, and there were a couple of museums on the side, but I didn´t have time to visit them.

7- "The highest point of Parc Guall (you can see the whole city from up there)", "Me next to the el Drac (in Parc Guall)" - I used to think that Potsdam was the park capital of the world (we have roughly a million lakes, castles, and parks). This park beats them. It was a huge park, and in it, there was a hill, and on the top, you can see all of Barcelona and the surrounding area. It was breathtaking (both literally and figuritivly (the hill was steep, so once you get to the top, you are a little out of breath)). Will, correct me if I´m wrong, but Dahli? decorated and designed the park. Everything way made out of stone, and there were abstract balonies and beautiful hand painted ceramics (every one different).

8- "Sagrada Familia (a church)" - One of the famous churchs of Barcelona.

9- "les fonts magics de monjuic" - Will and I went to a fountain performance thing. There was music, and the fountain was colored by changing lights. The one we went to had a sort of movie song theme. They played songs from Titanic, ET, and some other really well known movies. It was absolutly beautiful.

10 - "Will in front of a sculputre of the caselles in vila franca de penedes", "one view on the edge of vila franca de penedes" - Will and I took a trip to vila franca de penedes (Where Will did his exchange 2 years ago). We visited the Rificas (I´m not sure how to spell their name) (Will´s old host family), had lunch with them, wandered around the city, etc. It was relaxing and nice to see where Will had spent his year. We also went to visit some of his friends there. It was really fun.

Well, that explains the picture a little more. There were so many things in Spain (like soccer wall ball, going to the supermarket, school classes, etc), that I can´t possibly write about everything, but I think that is a pretty good taste.

The chorus in school is making a christmas CD, so most of my weekend will be spent in the school along with the rest of the chorus, singing for the CD. It should be fun.

I just found out who my next host family will be, and I think I´m going to meet them this weekend. I´ll be switching in mid-november.

3 comments:

Will said...

-Yes, I am studying at the University of Barcelona.
-Tapas are a wide variety of appetizers, but typically are small things on top of a slice of baugette
-sp. "Arc de Triomf"
-sp. "Park Güell"; both Park Güell and la Sagrada Familia were designed by Antoni Gaudi
-sp. Vilafranca del Penedes
-sp. Rafecas
- AHH! I CAN'T WAIT TO COME VISIT YOU!

Pach24 said...

Hello!
I know that you have fun a lot! did you get my e-mail?
Have a nice week!

Kelly said...

There is nothing else like The Ramblas! This stretch of road runs 1.4 kilometers, from the heart of Barcelona (Plaza Catalunya) right down to the ocean. Along the way you will see street performers, stalls selling birds, florists and all sorts of other crazy stuff. There is a wide pedestrian walkway that is always packed, and narrow single lanes of traffic on either side. There are TONS of restaurants and Barcelona hotels along the Ramblas, as well as some cute shops and many hotels. There is no way you can avoid this street on your trip, so embrace all the hustle and bustle and go with the flow! At the bottom of the Ramblas, there is a giant monument to Columbus. You can ride the elevator right to the top for 360 degree views of the port and Ramblas!