Thursday, November 22, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry I haven´t written for so long. The past week has been pretty packed. My host parents went to Spain last Saturday (they are taking a 10 day vacation), so my host moms parents came to be with us for the week. Helga and Heinz (my host grandparents) are amazing. Anyway. Last weekend Will came to visit. He came with a bunch of people from his school. That was fun because we go to see a lot of interesting things around Berlin that I hadn´t been able to see yet. There are so many interesting things in Berlin that it is impossible to see all of them in just one weekend, but we saw a lot. Then, on Monday, I started preparing for Thanksgiving. I´m planning of preparing Thanksgiving dinner for my family, so I figured that if normal families cook the whole day or two days for this meal, and they´ve done it before, it would probably be a good idea to start a week ahead of time. So, on Monday I looked up the recipies, went grocery shopping with Helga, and prepared two pie crusts (I had no school, so I had more time to prepare). I also made the cranberry sauce (wich doesn´t actually have much cranberries in it). The grocery shopping was a little difficult because they don´t have everything I need here (such as pumkin puree), so I have to improvise a little bit. On Tuesday I finished the pies (pecan and pumpkin, except that pecans seem to not exist in Germany, so I used walnuts, and I had to use pumpkin that was a little sour, so I´m not sure if I´m going to serve that or not). On Wednesday, I had no time, so today I have to make the turkey (just the breast, not the whole bird), the potatoes, and the green beans. It shouldn´t be too hard. Everything tastes a little different than at home because the ingredients are a little different, but it still tastes good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment